Sunday, July 8, 2012

Sunday Simulacra - Version 6.6

While I was in Philadelphia, PA for Skull Appreciation Day 2012, my husband and I went to the Philadelphia Museum of Art. We were happily wondering around, when I noticed these decorative plates in an alcove. They were created in Pennsylvania by John Leidy I. I thought the decorations looked like skull faces. Around the plates are sayings about life, and marriage. For you curious people, I've included the related translation that accompanied each plate.


"Fortune or misfortune is our breakfast every morning." - c.1796


"Rather would I single live than the wife the breeches give." - c.1797


"If one wishes to keep a secret, he may not tell his wife." - c.1796


Keep sending those pictures in, we always love seeing what our skull hunters find. Anyone is welcomed to participate, it's fun and it's easy- if you see a simulacra skull, photograph it and send those pictures in to our submissions address with a little something about what it is really and maybe a little about you.

No comments: